0

Thing 13: Google Docs, Wikis and Dropbox

Monday 30 July 2012

Google Drive

I love Google Docs, now Google Drive! I heavily used Google Docs over the past 2 years for school and it is wonderful for group projects. The ease of sharing and working on the documents at the same time as project teammates is such a time saver. It also allows for chatting while working on the documents which enables for easy group creativity. The transformation to Google Drive has only made it better for easy transference of documents.




Dropbox

Dropbox is very similar to Google Drive except it has less free space (only 2 compared to 5 GB). However, Dropbox does offer many other options through great apps and inventive ways of using cloud storage. Overall, I plan on continuing to use both :)




Wikis

I have made use of two great wikis so far. The first being MediaWiki which I used during Library School. The students had a wiki full of information about concerning topics and ourselves. I not only utilized this great resource I also maintained my own profile page and the McGill's Multilingual Children's Association's webpage where we kept the students up to date with information and events concerning the association. I quite enjoyed the flexibility of MediaWiki, as it was so customizable.

I also make use of Google Sites as a wiki for a project at one of my volunteering jobs. It allows us to keep all of the projects documents in an easy to access place so that we can access it from work or at home. There is much flexibility with Google Sites as you can choose whether to have a private website for yourself, share with a selected group, or make it public. It also provides several templates for pages and design for those who don't know how to make it themselves. The ability to easily imbed apps allows for complex webpages without the hassle of creating them from scratch. It also provides a free server so that there is no cost in hosting the site, a definite plus!

0 Responses to "Thing 13: Google Docs, Wikis and Dropbox"